I’m currently working on a porthole illustration for murpworks Afloat
My inspiration is taken from one of the portholes on the narrowboat we’re going to be living aboard, with a little bit of artistic licence thown in. I want to use the porthole as a window on the world we’ll be living in, looking out into imagination.
murpworks Afloat Animations
My aim is to have a series of animations play in the window. I’m currently throwing ideas around and trying to come up with a list. It’s exciting to be at the start of a new project. I’m going to continue using Smith Micro‘s Anime Studio 11 for the animating bit.
I’m also updating the murpworks logo and it will also incorporate the porthole.
We went up to Whilton Marina to see our narrowboat this weekend. It was very cold but I managed to do some measuring up. This is me in the Galley, I’m just checking that there will be enough space for rp to do the washing up 🙂
It Measures Up
We’ve bought a sink (see blog), it’s smaller than the one you can see here so hopefully it will give us a bit more space. We’ve got big plans but we’ll probably live with most of what we’ve got to start with. I’ve since bought a new tape measure because the one I was using wasn’t long enough and another one I had, was stuck in its shell! The minute we got back, I found other things I wished I’d measured (its always the way).
It’s important to get it right as I’m hoping to turn this into my floating studio.
I’m adding backgrounds to my range of Flowers of the Month cards
January is Snowdrops
The original painting I did has the Snowdrops in a pot but devoid of a background. I’m trying adding backgrounds to each card design to provide an alternative. The feeling is that it provides a more emotionally engaging image.
RP and I are moving onto a narrowboat. We’re in the process of buying it at the moment. The waiting‘s not easy.
I’m No Square
One of the things I’m busy with at the moment is making something out of nothing. I’m taking all RP’s old (and not so old) jeans, cutting them up into squares and then i’m going to patch them together which is going to make a cover. This cover will form the basis for a visitor’s bed. Obviously it will have to have some substance so I’m also busily scouring the web for some foam that I can have cut into shape. There will be 3 pieces that will stack but ingeniously lay out into a bed when required. I also need foam for the Dinette as it needs replacing.
Convince Me of Something
RP’s not convinced as yet, not just because I’m cutting up all his jeans (he says he needs new ones anyway), he needs to see what it will look like. Patience!
I was originally going to make a quilt cover with the denim but I think it’s going to be quite heavy so, I’ve adpated my approach 🙂
I’ve been using paper to make my squares but I need to make a more robust template; thin metal or maybe even wood. That’s the next thing on my To Do list. I can then hopefully push on and make a bit more progress.
I’m working on a range of cards, well several actually. The first range is a flower for every month of the year. They are drawn, then inked, then coloured. The photo above shows an advance look at January – Snowdrops. Each card in the range is a plant of the month in terracotta pots.
A thing I have to think about is moving my ‘Studio’ (such as it is) to a narrowboat as we’re purchasing one and moving onto the canals – exciting times. You can follow the progress over at Tales from the Bilge where rp is currently up to his virtual neck in oil and grease but hopefully not water.
The Coffee Cup of Destiny is where it all starts from. AT THE JUMPGATE seems a far cry from a dog and a coffee cup but the webcomic can trace its roots on the start chart all the way back to this sketch.
Max and The Coffee Cup of Destiny – a pencil sketch from 2012.